An e-mail is the fastest way to communicate in writing. The word e-mail simply means electronic mail, which we send across the Internet or other computer networks.
An e-mail can be sent from a computer or from a smartphone that has access to the Internet.
In this post, you will find the Components of an Email.
Some Facts about Email
- An e-mail is sent using an account that stores all your sent and received messages online.
- E-mail accounts can be created with e-mail service providers such as Gmail, Yahoo!, and AOL.
- Most of these service providers do not charge you to create an email account.
- An e-mail account is operated through a personal e-mail address (e.g. email@example.com ) which can be accessed only with a password (a series of letters or numbers).
- Your password is a secret and should never be shared with anyone!
- You can send written messages, photos, videos, and audio files through e-mail.
Difference between a Letter and an Email
Most e-mail service providers allow users to customize their online profiles. Each user can choose from a variety of themes and set their preferences. It is similar to setting themes on your computer.
An e-mail looks like a letter except that it is not handwritten. Let us examine the differences between a letter and an e-mail.
|Printed or typed||Printed or handwritten|
|Sent via the Internet||Sent via the post office|
|Is received instantly||Takes days to reach the recipient|
Components of an Email
An email consists of two main sections:
- The header
- The body
The following fields are part of the header:
- The To field
- The Cc field
- The Bcc field
- The Subject line
The body of the e-mail consists of an introductory paragraph and a short description in writing. It consists of
- A salutation
- An opening sentence
- The information in detail
- Closing line
- Signature line
Writing an Email Using Components of an Email
|Subject||Sick Leave Email|
The Manager, XYZ Company
This is to bring to your notice that, I met with an accident on the 15th of April. I have a small fracture on my right leg and I’m scheduled to undergo a minor leg surgery on the 18th of April. The doctor has advised me complete bed rest for a period of 1 month. I will be mostly available after the 28th of May to resume my work.
I have enclosed all the necessary documents including a letter of recommendation from my doctor.
I regret the inconvenience and I’d like to request you consider this sick leave mail.
John Allen, Junior Engineer, XYZ Company
You Asked, We Listened – Get Free Access to All Writing Lists 😍😍