A dialogue literally means a talk between two people. The writing of dialogues in English is a useful form of composition for the students trying to gain a command of spoken English. It acquaints them with the colloquial way of speaking English and drills them to express their thoughts in easy, simple English. In this post, we have written 8 tips on ‘How to Write a Dialogue’.
In order to write dialogues successfully, the writer has not only to see both sides of a question but has also to put himself inside two imaginary persons so as to make them express their opposite opinions naturally and in keeping with their characters. He has in turn to be each one, and see the point of view of each on the question.
How to Write a Dialogue?
(1) Carefully think over the subject given and jot down briefly the arguments or opinions about it, which might reasonably be expressed by the imaginary persons.
(2) Arrange these arguments or opinions in some logical order, so that one will arise naturally from another in the course of the conversation.
(3) Remember that your dialogue, when completed, should read like a real conversation. So try to make your imaginary characters talk in an easy, familiar, and natural manner. Avoid stilted and bookish phrases.
(4) Don’t let any of your characters monopolize the conversation as if he were giving a public lecture. Give both the chance to speak.
(5) In real conversations people often use exclamations, expressing surprise (e.g. ‘My goodness,’ What a surprise,’ ‘Good heavens’, ‘My God’ etc),’ irritation/anger (e.g. ‘My foot’, ‘Confound it’, ‘damn it’ etc),’ pleasure (e.g. ‘How nice’, ‘Splendid’ etc). Such interjections may be introduced from time to time, sparingly.
(6) You should begin the dialogue in an interesting way, so that the reader’s attention may be arrested from the very first. And the conversation should lead up to some definite conclusion. It should not end abruptly. Special attention should be given to the opening sentences and the conclusion.
(7) The fact that the language should be, as far as possible, colloquial, does not mean that it may be ungrammatical. However free-and-easy the style in which the persons in the dialogue are made to talk they must talk good English.
(8) In real conversations one person sometimes interrupts the other, or break-in on what he is saying. Sparing use of such interruptions in written dialogue adds to its naturalness.
Written dialogue should be so composed that it appears to be spontaneous or impromptu. The reader of it should not feel that it is premeditated, stilted, and dull. At the same time, careful preparation is necessary for writing dialogue, though this must not appear. The writer must have the art to conceal his art So before beginning to write you need to make a plan or outline of the dialogue The whole dialogue should be brief and the questions and replies as concise and pointed as possible.
How to Write a Dialogue between two Persons?
A dialogue between two persons one of whom has come to see his/her sick friend.
Parul: Hallo, Gouri. How do you feel?
Gouri: I had a very high fever yesterday, but I’m much better now. How did you know I wasn’t well?
Parul: Well, I met your cousin Lila at school and she told me you were ill.
Gouri: Yes, Lila came in to see me this morning. She brought me these lovely flowers.
Parul: Has the doctor been in to see you?
Gouri: Yes, he came yesterday and examined me. He gave me some medicines, I took them every six hours. That’s why I’ve no fever today.
Parul: Well, I hope you’ll be all right in two or three days.
Gouri: Thank you very much, Parul. I’m so glad you’ve come to see me. Good-bye.
What is a Dialogue? A dialogue is a conversation between two individuals on a topic understood and related to by both. It is an exchange of thoughts and opinions on any kind of topic or issue. A dialogue may either aim to form a concurrence of thought or differentiate one’s point of view from the …
What is an Article? An article is a piece of writing that is included in newspapers, magazines, or journals alongside other written works. In this post, we have discussed 6 simple steps on ‘How to Write an Article.’ Functions of an article: Inform the reader about an idea, phenomenon, and piece of news or information …
Finished reading our post How to Write a Dialogue? Is our post ‘How to Write a Dialogue?’ helps you? Please comment